Having a basic first aid kit for your pet is essential. You never know when you may be faced with a situation that requires fast, corrective action. You can buy a pre-made kit or you can easily assemble one yourself by gathering some or all of the items on the list below.
Pet First Aid Kit:
- Gauze of various sizes
- Non-Stick Telfa Pads
- Bandage Wrap (pet specific such as vetrap is best)
- Adhesive Tape
- Triple Antibiotic Ointment or Spray
- Digital Thermometer
- Cotton Balls or Swabs
- Bandage Scissors (have blunt ends)
- Eyewash Solution
- Benadryl – for allergic reactions (Obtain your pet’s dose from your veterinarian)
- Sterile Saline Solution (can find at pharmacies)
- Alcohol Wipes
- Expired credit card (to scrape away insect stingers)
- Nail Clippers
- Penlight or Flashlight
- Styptic Powder or Sticks
- Magnifying Glass
- Disposable Gloves
- Sugar source such as Karo syrup (for diabetic animals)
- Paws to consider: Be sure to check the supplies in your pet first aid kit regularly and replace any items that may have expired. You can create more than one kit to keep in the car, at home, and even in a backpack when performing outdoor activities such as hiking.
In addition to these supplies, it would be helpful to carry:
- A pet first aid book, such as Pet First Aid: Cats and Dogs by the American Red Cross, that will offer you guidance during certain situations
- Important phone numbers such as your veterinarian and the pet poison hotline (1-855-764-7661)
- Your pet’s records such as proof of rabies vaccination, important medical records, and even a picture of your pet in case he gets lost. You can store these in a Ziploc bag for safekeeping.
- Paws to consider: You can ask your veterinarian if they offer an online portal, which houses your pet’s medical information. There is also a free app called ‘Figo Pet Cloud’ by Figo Pet Insurance, which stores your pet’s records as well as pictures and allows you to search nearby pet related services such as emergency veterinarians.
Stop by to pick up a free pet poison hotline window cling to have in case of emergency. Also, we can email you a copy of the pet first aid kit supply list- call us at 720-851-0820 or email us at email@example.com to request a copy today!