Did you know that there are a ton of pet related holidays/ fun days throughout the year? One of our pet’s favorites is International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day which is on February 23rd. To help you celebrate this fun day and spoil your pets, here are 3 drool worthy recipes for homemade treats. We included one for our feline friends as we think they should be able to celebrate too!
PEANUT BUTTER BONES
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter (make sure it is not sweetened with xylitol)
- ¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce or mashed banana
- ¼ cup vegetable, chicken or beef stock
- Bone shaped cookie cutter
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, peanut butter and applesauce in a large mixing bowl. Add stock and stir until well combined. The dough will be thick.
- Once combined use your hands to press the dough into a ball. Place dough ball on a flat service (with a sprinkle of flour if needed) and roll out evenly with a rolling pin. Dough should be about ¼ inch thick.
- Use cookie cutter to cut the dough and place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown. Store in an airtight container.
FROZEN PUMPKIN TREATS
- 1 can 100% pure pumpkin puree
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (make sure it not sweetened with xylitol)
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Spoon into ice cube tray (could use shaped ice trays or silicone molds for fun shapes).
- Place into the freezer for at least 4 hours.
- Pop the treats out of the ice cube tray for a tasty frozen treat.
3 INGREDIENT SALMON CAT TREATS
- 10 oz. canned salmon (undrained)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- Heat oven to 350°. Pulse 10 oz. canned salmon (undrained) in a food processor and chop as finely as possible.
- In a stand mixer, combine salmon, 1 egg (beaten) and 2 cups whole wheat flour until dough forms. If dough is too dry, add up to 1/3 cup water. If dough is too wet or sticky, add a bit more flour. Dough should be tacky but not sticky.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface until about 1/4 inch thick. Use a 3/4-inch cookie cutter in the shape of your choice to create your treats.
- Place treats on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 350° for about 20 minutes. When they’re slightly browned and crunchy, they’re done.
- Allow to cool before serving. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
We hope you have fun making these treats and would love for you to share pictures of your pets enjoying them on our Facebook page (facebook.com/vcofparker) or sending us a selfie on our app!
The Veterinary Center of Parker, Inc. is pawsitively excited to bring you Pet Tips & Advice. With each issue we hope to bring you a bit of information that you will find useful for you and your pet.
If you have questions, comments or suggestions please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also visit our website at www.vcparker.com or like us on Facebook to get more information!